Job title: Executive Assistant and Business Manager
Reporting to: Founder and Senior Mediator
Location: 10 York Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3EP
Main purpose: To provide principal support to the Founder and Senior Mediator, while ensuring effective management of a successful and innovative small business.
Hours: Approximately 35-37.5 hours per week, variable, with flexible working possibilities
Salary: Range: £29,000 – £34,000 and based on experience
A unique opportunity has arisen to join Core Solutions, Scotland’s leading business mediation service and pre-eminent provider of training in negotiation, conflict management and dispute resolution. We are looking for an emotionally intelligent, self-aware and flexible individual with a mature, open disposition and friendly character to provide principal support to John Sturrock, Core’s founder and senior mediator and to manage the business.
Core originated nearly twenty years ago with the vision of John Sturrock to build a business which would make a difference by helping people and businesses to build better relationships and find cooperative and constructive solutions to difficult problems and disputes.
In the intervening years, Core has become a unique, sector-leading business with global recognition. We are small but punch well above our weight, delivering a highly professional service to our clients.
Core is rather countercultural, operating with a relaxed and informal work environment while maintaining the highest professional standards. Our values are built on civility and enjoyment of what we do.
Who are we looking for?
Someone who shares the Core ethos of excellent service based on good relationships and great communication and who wishes to make a difference.
Someone who is Edinburgh-based, adept at multi-tasking, flexible, thrives on working on their own sometimes under pressure, resilient, highly organised, pays attention to detail and handles taking direction well. There is more information below.
Someone who is a proponent of mediation and will help to contribute to mediation’s growth in Scotland by supporting this business. You will work directly with John Sturrock and build a relationship based on trust, openness, efficiency and excellent client relations.
Executive Assistant / Manager / Administration (Time – approx. 35%)
- Providing support to John Sturrock in all aspects relating to the business
- Being the first point of contact for all incoming calls to the Core office and delivering excellent customer service
- Maintaining and developing administrative systems
- Electronic filing and keeping the Core server organised in line with GDPR compliance
- General office filing, binding, typing, copying, shredding confidential data
- Keeping the office stocked with stationary and other supplies
- Responsible for reviewing annual renewals such as insurance, copyright licensing etc
- Reviewing and updating internal manuals and procedures
- Maintaining the Core press file
- Occasionally liaising with part-time project consultants
Bookkeeping and Finance (Time – approx. 15%)
- Using Sage to raise and send invoices for all income-generating activities
- Following up unpaid invoices and managing aged debtors reports
- Processing and submitting quarterly VAT returns in liaison with Core’s accountants
- Liaising with accountants as required
- Providing financial reports as required
Mediation Management (Time – approx. 35%)
- Being the first point of contact for all mediation enquiries and providing all relevant information while being an advocate for the mediation process
- Preparing mediation proposals in discussion with John Sturrock
- Liaising with John Sturrock and clients to arrange mediations
- Maintaining a database of mediations and enquiries and following up as required
Training and Events (Time – approx. 10%)
- Being the first point of contact for all in-house training enquiries
- Liaising with in-house course point of contact regarding logistics and arrangements for a training day
- Noting interest, managing registrations, corresponding with participants and arranging follow up for open courses
- Liaising with venues for events and courses
- Updating/drafting and finalising workbooks for courses
Marketing / Design and Website (Time – approx. 5%)
- Drafting, editing and sending an electronic newsletter approximately 6 times a year
- Designing adverts for digital or print publications
- Writing, reviewing and submitting annual submissions in legal directories
- Updating the Core Website with new material including preparing private webpages
- Demonstrable business and office management experience
- Experience of working on own initiative when necessary, while taking direction well
- Able to take responsibility in liaison with John Sturrock
- Experience of event planning and management
- Experience of using a wide range of IT systems (word processing, spreadsheets, databases)
- Bookkeeping knowledge
- Knowledge of the legal sector
- Interest in mediation and dispute resolution
- Bookkeeping experience using accountancy software such as Sage
- Experience of marketing and design / using desktop publishing software such as Adobe InDesign
- Educated to degree level
Special abilities / aptitudes
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills
- Flexibility and ability to work in a dynamic environment with a pioneering and quick-thinking leader who sets high standards
- Ability to deal sensitively and in confidence with diverse subject matter
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work effectively and perform well under pressure and to manage own workload, with strong time management skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines while working methodically, ensuring attention to detail
- Ability to type quickly and accurately
A note from John Sturrock:
“I’m looking for someone who shares my vision, is willing to work flexibly and respond quickly if required, thrives on change and is comfortable with some uncertainty, relishes making a difference and is comfortable in their own skin”.
How to apply
To apply, please email a CV and cover letter to Miriam Kennedy (Miriam.email@example.com) by Friday 4 October 2019. In the cover letter, please include the following information:
- Who you are
- What you are passionate about
- Details of your professional experience that is relevant to this role