Mediation Seminar for Solicitors
John Sturrock is hosting this pop-up seminar for solicitors to update on (and talk about) how to prepare effectively for and represent a client in a mediation.
Date and Location
Tuesday, 24 February 2015 | 8.30-10.30am | Central Edinburgh, Scott House 10 South St Andrew St
CPD 2 hours
We will cover:
- Preparation for mediation: what needs to be done – and how to maximise the impact of your preparation
- Engaging with the other solicitor: before and during the mediation day: how to get them to participate at all?
- Effective representation: what is good advocacy in mediation and whether to do it with or without counsel
- Engaging with the mediator: what works and what doesn’t? Do you need to influence the mediator? If so, how? What do you tell him or her?
- What if the other side’s lawyer appears less than competent – or difficult?
- Handling difficult situations: personality clashes, decision-makers not present, other side making threats, tensions within the team, voices outside the room, cultural, ethical and gender issues, etc
- Drafting the resolution agreement: what to think about
As good as they come, seriously. A great many lawyers and non-lawyers would benefit from what you teach.
Lawyer | 2014 course participant